The 25 Most Popular Christian Hymns
One of the major ways Christians have let the Word of God dwell in us richly throughout history has been through singing hymns in church gatherings.
Hymns are beloved because they share the richness of the Gospel and the beauty of Jesus Christ in a catchy and memorable way.
Hymns and other truth-filled songs have the habit of ministering to our hearts, giving us hope and faith. They teach us theology, help us minister to each other, unite us with Christians from the past centuries, and take our eyes off of ourselves and put them on Jesus.
This purpose of this post is to encourage you by sharing classic and modern Christian hymns and their Gospel-Centered lyrics.
The list includes some classic hymns and some modern/contemporary church hymns.
The 25 Most Popular Christian Hymns:
1. Amazing Grace – John Newton, England (1779)
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.”
2. How Great Thou Art - Carl Gustav Boberg, Sweden (1885)
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.”
3. Holy, Holy, Holy – Reginald Heiber, England (1826)
Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!”
4. It is Well – Horacio Spafford, written in the Atlantic Ocean (1873)
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.”
5. Great Is Thy Faithfulness – Thomas Chisholm, Kansas, USA (1923)
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.”
6. Praise To the Lord The Almighty - Joachim Neander, Germany (1665)
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, Now to His temple draw near;
Sing now in glad adoration!”
7. Be Thou My Vision - Dallán Forgaill, Ireland (6th Century)
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
Thou my best thought, by day or by night;
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.”
8. All Creatures Of our God and King – St. Francis of Assisi, Italy (1225)
Lift up your voice and with us sing,
…Let all things their Creator bless,
And worship Him in humbleness,
O praise Him! Alleluia!
Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,
And praise the Spirit, Three in One!”
9. All Hail The Power of Jesus Name - Edward Perronet, England (1779)
Let angels prostrate fall;
bring forth the royal diadem,
and crown him Lord of all.”
10. Blessed Assurance – Fanny Crosby, New York City, USA (1873)
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.”
11. To God Be The Glory – Fanny Crosby, New York City, USA (1872)
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life our redemption to win,
And opened the life-gate that all may go in.”
12. When I Survey The Wondrous Cross – Isaac Watts, England (1707)
“When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.”
13. Jesus Paid it All – Elvina Hall, Maryland, USA (1865)
Child of weakness, watch and pray, Find in Me thine all in all.”
Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.”
14. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God – Martin Luther, Germany (somewhere between 1527 – 1529)
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate, On earth is not his equal.”
15. How Firm A Foundation – John Rippon, England (1787)
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?”
16. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing – Robert Robison, England (1757)
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.”
17. Crown Him With Many Crowns – Matthew Bridges, England (1852)
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns all music but its own.
Awake, my soul, and sing of Him who died for thee,
And hail Him as thy matchless King through all eternity.”
18. At the Cross – Isaac Watts, England (1707)
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!”
19. What a Friend We Have in Jesus - Joseph M. Scriven (words in 1855) and Charles Converse (Music in 1868), Ireland
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.”
20. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus – Helen Lemmel, England (1922)
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.”
Contemporary and Modern Hymns
21. In Christ Alone – Keith Getty and Stuart Townend, Northern Ireland/England (2001)
“In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand”
22. Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus) – Chris Rice, USA (2003)
Lost and left to die
O, raise your head, for love is passing by
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus and live!
Now your burden’s lifted
And carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus and live!”
23. 10,000 Reasons – Matt Redman, England (2011)
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before O my soul
I’ll worship Your holy name”
24. I Will Glory in My Redeemer – Steve and Vicki Cook, Louisville, Kentucky, USA (2000)
Mine was the sin that drove the bitter nails
And hung Him on that judgment tree
I will glory in my Redeemer
Who crushed the power of sin and death
My only Savior before the holy Judge
The Lamb who is my righteousness
The Lamb who is my righteousness
25. Jesus, Thank You – Pat Sczebel, Louisville, Kentucky, USA (2003)
“The mystery of the cross I cannot comprehend
The agonies of Calvary
You the perfect Holy One, crushed Your Son
Who drank the bitter cup reserved for me
Your blood has washed away my sin
Jesus, thank You
The Father’s wrath completely satisfied
Jesus, thank You
Once Your enemy, now seated at Your table
Jesus, thank You”
“AMAZING GRACE!!! His Grace Is Amazing and I’m Eternally Grateful For Everlasting Life With Him! Thank You Jesus!” –Lita S.
“Precious Lord Take My Hand, it to hard to walk without him” Sue A.
“How Great Thou Art” Melinda K.
“It Is Well – ALWAYS touches my soul.” Donna H.
“Blessed Assurance- my grandmother used to sing that to me all the time when I was younger!” Michelle J.
“AND CAN IT BE reminds me of God’s AMAZING LOVE for me.” Gwendolyn C.
“How Great Thou Art and Old Rugged Cross…my moms favorites” Nancy B.
“‘All Hail The power of Jesus’ Name’. It is praise, worship, adoration,confession, acknowledgement, gospel and looks forward to glorification and ultimate exaltation of our awesome God!” Petronella S.
“‘Be Still My Soul’ because it reminds me that God is in control when my world is spinning.” Mary Z.
“Great is Thy Faithfulness. God seems to bring this to my attention at times of joy and of times of great hurt. It came to really mean something to me when I came to the Lord in the Highlands of Scotland in the 60′s. Pastor Colin might appreciate that!” Eleanor M.
“Take My Life & Let It Be consecrated Lord to thee, take my moments & my days, let them flow in ceaseless praise! The words of this song say it all. my life belongs to Him.” Marilee N.
“One of my favorites: A Mighty Fortress is Our God – such a strong message of strength from the Lord, the He fights our battles!” Leesa T.
“Are You Walking Are You Talking with the Lord?” Fred J.
“Crown Him With Many Crowns – wonderful for praising our Lord” Andrew M.
“One of them would be Standing on the Promises of God. Why? Because it is something I need to do.” Sarah N.
What are your favorite Christian hymns and why? Let us know in a comment and share your favorite lyrics!
Date Posted: July 1st, 2013